• Health workers in Guinea's capital to hunt for Ebola cases

• Aspirin ups chances of pregnancy after miscarriage: Study

• New Atom and Photon 'Switch' May Herald Breakthrough for Quantum Computers

• Early birds can view total lunar eclipse April 15

• Apple Designer Greg Christie Retires, Hands Team to Jony Ive

• Greece Trumpets its Return to International Bond Market

• Arrested For 1 Murder, Man Confesses To Killing 40 People As Cartel Hitman

• NATO Chief Calls on Russia to Remove Troops Near Ukraine, Stop Propaganda

• Family Dollar to cut jobs, shut 370 stores as sales fall

• Ukraine offers amnesty to pro-Russians

Help Wanted: a high school rock band

Help Wanted members Abe Nouri, Jack Adamek, Sean Newman, and former member Garret Thompson perfomring. Photo courtesy Abe Nouri.

January 10, 2012

Help Wanted members Sean Newman, Jack Adamek, and Abe Nouri, and former member Garret Thompson (left to right) perfomring. Photo courtesy Abe Nouri.

Help Wanted is a high school band consisting of sophomore Abe Nouri, who plays guitar, trombone, and vocals, sophomore Jack Adamek, who plays drums and vocals, TA sophomore Ellen Atwood on keyboard and vocals, and TA sophomore Sean Newman on bass guitar.

The band has performed several times at a music shop downtown, “Downtown Music 34.” Their set list usually consists of classic 1960- 70’s rock music, such as their signature cover, “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” by Stevie Wonder. Choosing the setlist is “pretty chill,” says frontman Abe Nouri.

“When someone has a good idea, they share it and then if we like that idea, we try to play through the song and if we like it, we keep it,” Nouri said.

Sophomore, Larkin O’ Hara says that her ” favorite out of their set list is ‘Signed, Sealed, Delivered.’” She says that “they’ve sounded soulful, uplifting, inspiring, and powerful.” Larkin is only one of the band’s 102 Facebook fans.

Help Wanted’s biggest gig yet was on “First Night” in downtown Harrisonburg at the familiar music shop “Downtown Music 34.” They had a time slot of an hour and a half, filling it in with a 21 song setlist. It included many classic rock songs, and also some contemporary songs sung by a special guest, Isabelle Burden. She sang three songs, “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele, “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor, and the crowd favorite, “ Signed, Sealed, Delivered” by Stevie Wonder.

A visitor from Minnesota, Zoe Vogel, loved the band’s sound.

“I was very impressed by the band’s overall performance! They were so good!” Vogel said. “I’d have to say, my favorite song they performed was when Isabelle Burden sang ‘Signed, Sealed, Delivered.’ Overall they sounded just like a normal rock band!”

Help Wanted has never failed to impress outsiders such as Zoe. If you know someone or are interested in the group at all, they have business cards with all their information on them. The band’s cell phone number is (540)- 236- 8732.

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*